Monday 21 December 2015
What do you get when you mix red velvet and a cup cake? That’s right! A match made in heaven. With this recipe you can make the red velvet cupcakes yourself. You can also give it a holly jolly Christmas twist with some sprinkles and Christmas decorations.
What do you need?
1 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (*3 eggs*)
1 cup (*plus 2 tablespoons*) buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon (*3/4 teaspoon*) baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1 ounce red food color
1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder
For the cream cheese frosting:
1 1/2 packages cream cheese (12 ounces)
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together the shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl
- Then, in a large liquid measuring cup, combine the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda, vinegar and salt
- Add the flower into the mixing bowl (in three additions!) alternating with the wet ingredients.
- Stir together the red food color and cocoa powder in another small bowl. Then add into the batter and mix until completely combined.
- Divide the batter into muffin tins. Bake for 15-17 minutes and let it cool for a few minutes.
- When the cupcakes are cooling, you can make the cream cheese frosting. Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add vanilla and salt. Mix until incorporated
- Add the powdered sugar in three additions and mix until smooth.
- Now you can decorate your cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting!
- Decorate as you wish, for a Christmas themed cupcake you can add some Christmas sprinkles.